Add an extra special touch to your Giftmas presents this year with these vegan homemade cookies. Add cranberry, eggnog & a whole lot of red & white twine!
This festive recipe is from Simple Plant-Based Life, a vegan blog run by Katherine Henderson.
Makes 18 cookies
1 cup bread flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened but not melted
2 tablespoons vegan stick butter at room temperature
1/4 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup vegan eggnog, at room temperature
1 small vegan egg*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 to 2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped pistachios or walnuts, optional
1. Stir up the flours a bit, and then spoon the flour into the measuring cups; level off the top with a knife. This will help ensure that you don’t use too much flour. Whisk the flours baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt in a medium bowl until combined; set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, cream the coconut oil, butter, and sugars on medium speed until fluffy, 1 1/2 minutes up to 2 minutes. Stir in the eggnog, vegan egg, and vanilla extract.
3. Add in the flour mixture and beat on low speed just until almost combined. It will look dry and crumbly, but it’ll come together. Add in the cranberry and pistachios if using. You can stir it at this point, but it’s easier to fold them in by hand. Pick up the dough with one hand and press gently down, and keep turning and folding the dough over until the add-ins are blended in evenly. Don’t over handle the dough though.
4. Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for one hour. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176 Celsius). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
5. Scoop the dough by rounded 1 tablespoonfuls, 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown and tops look set. You can also make “monster” cookies by using 3 rounded tablespoonfuls for each cookie. You’ll need to increase the baking time to 14-16 minutes. Remove pan to a cooling rack, and let cookies cool for 7-10 minutes on the pan before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Vegan Egg: 1 1/2 tablespoons room temperature aquafaba, or one flax egg (1 1/2 tablespoons water and 1/2 tablespoon flaxseed meal stirred together in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove to counter and stir once more.
Follow Simple Plant-Based Life: