Roberta Nelson is a Naturopathic Practitioner who specialises in women’s health. She creates and shares healthy, nutrient-rich recipes on her Instagram account @naturomedico. This raw lemon slice is simple to make & even easier to eat.
Makes 12-15 pieces
1 cup gluten-free oats
1/3 cup almond meal
3/4 cup fresh Medjool dates, pitted
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice
Zest of 1 lemon (save some zest to sprinkle on top)
Juice of 1 lemon, divided (half will go into the topping)
A sprinkle of rock salt
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 tbsp coconut butter/cashew butter/macadamia butter
The remaining juice of the lemon
2 tbsp liquid sweetener of your choice (I use brown rice syrup)
Edible flowers, optional
1. Prepare a brownie tray or similar sized tupperware container with baking paper or glad wrap and set aside
2. Place all the ingredients for the base in a food processor and blitz until the mixture turns into a nicely combined dough. It should not be too wet so if you find yourself with a very wet mix, add more oats to soak up some moisture.
3. Put the dough into the tray and press down well so that it is evenly spread. Place this into the fridge while you make the topping.
4. In a small saucepan, very gently heat the coconut oil, coconut butter and sweetener until everything has melted and can be combined. Remove from the heat and whisk the ingredients quickly. Let the mixture cool slightly and then add the lemon juice before mixing one last time.
5. Remove the base from the fridge and pour the cool topping mixture over the top to cover the entire slice. Sprinkle over the remaining lemon zest and push the edible flowers into the topping (if using) then return the slice to the fridge to set. It should only take about 30 minutes.
6. Slice into 12-15 pieces and serve straight away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Follow Naturo Medico: