Rosie from Sugar & Salt Cookies used our campaign colours to bake the perfect Giftmas Cupcakes! Red velvet with pink sprinkles & gold glitter on top… Warning: it’ll be hard to stop at just one.
This is an easy and straightforward recipe. I like to use it to make mini cupcakes and only fill the cups to halfway as the batter rises quite a lot. Cream cheese frosting is an off-white colour, but I have coloured mine pink in this case. It’s also quite a rich frosting, so I recommend an open star tip (Wilton 1M is my favourite) to pipe rosettes on top – it’s the perfect amount. These look just as beautiful on their own as they do with sprinkles.
RED VELVET CUPCAKES WITH CREAM FROSTING
Makes 14 Cupcakes
• 1½ cups (190g) all-purpose flour
• 3 tbsp (15g) unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¾ tsp (5g) baking soda
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup (200g) sugar
• ⅔ cup (167ml) buttermilk
• ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
• ¼ cup (60g) vanilla Greek yogurt
• 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
• 2-3 tsp red food coloring, or as needed for desired colour
Cream cheese frosting
• 8oz (250g) full-fat cream cheese, softened
• 2oz (60g) unsalted butter, softened
• 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 muffin pans with 14 paper liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients except the food coloring.
4. Gently whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Add in the food coloring 1 teaspoon at a time, mixing in between until you reach your desired color. The original recipe called for 1-2 tablespoons of food coloring. I used only 2 teaspoons and found that was enough.
5. Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes completely cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
1. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well in between.
3. Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes using a Wilton 1M tip.
Follow Sugar & Salt: